The City of Calais continues to monitor the COVID-19 Virus (coronavirus) and its potential impacts on our community. Our goal is to ensure the safety of our employees and our residents in the most responsible ways possible. We are using extreme caution in order to do our best to slow the spread of this virus. It is strongly recommended that residents practice social distancing to avoid potential contact, but we also encourage residents to call and check on neighbors, friends and family during this difficult time.
At this time, we have asked our First Responders to also practice social distancing to the extent possible. Residents are asked to call ahead with questions or concerns and face-to-face interactions will be limited whenever practical. First Responders may also ask you to stand back in order to maintain the recommended six-foot distancing. Please understand that this is an effort to keep them healthy and able to respond to emergencies. Rest assured that care or interaction will not be restricted if close contact is necessary during an emergency. Our First Responders are committed to the providing the best service to the fullest extent possible and in the professional manner residents have come to expect.
City of Calais Supply Delivery Program
If you are a resident in the Calais area and are unable to leave your home due to quarantine, both self and mandatory, or are at high risk with underlying health concerns, the city has a list of volunteers that will pick-up and drop-off essential supplies to you.
The delivery program works as follows:
- The customer is required to contact the supply store.
- The customer places the supply order.
- The customer arranges payment with the chosen store.
- The customer provides the store with delivery information- Name, Address, and Phone Number.
The supply store will contact the city building and provide staff with the customer information, at which point, the city will reach out to area volunteers to coordinate pick-up and drop-off of essential supplies and provide customer with an approximate time of delivery.
The city will offer this service Monday through Friday between the hours of 10 am to 2 pm. If any member of the public has questions about this program, call 454-2521 for more information.
Governor Mills Launches New Online Resource Outlining Ways Mainers Can Help Mainers During COVID-19 Pandemic
NEW CLOSURE: In an effort to further safe social distancing practices, as well as the fact that two of our playgrounds are still under construction, effective immediately, we are closing all City playgrounds, ball fields and tennis and basketball courts to the public until further notice. The Skatepark will also be closed to the public. We still encourage citizens and children to go for a walk or ride bicycles for exercise. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding of this difficult decision.
Please note the following:
- Beginning Friday, March 20, 2020 the Calais City Building will be closed to the public. Staff will be reporting to work so services will continue through phone, e-mail or regular mail. Business hours are expected to remain the same. (Monday through Friday, 8:00 – 5:00) For questions regarding business conducted at the City Building, please call (207) 454-2521.
- Payments of cash or check may be mailed or put into the drop-box located at the front door of the Calais City Building on Church Street. This box will be checked periodically throughout the day.
- Online services are still available. Payments for Real Estate, Personal Property Taxes and Water/Sewer bills can also be made online by following the relevant link under the “How Do I” section along the left-hand side of the page.
- Fees for use of a credit/debit card will be paid by the City
- Interest on past due sewer or tax bills will be waived after Thursday, March 19, 2020.
- The Calais Free Library is closed to the public.
- The Calais Recreation Dept is closed to the public.
- For a listing of Rec Dept cancellations and postponements, please click here.
- Calais Public Works is closed to the public
- Calais Police Dept Lobby is closed to the public under most circumstances
- For non-emergency questions or incidents, please call (207) 454-2751 for Dispatch or (207) 454-2752 for voicemail.
- Calais Fire/EMS Station is closed to the public.
- For non-emergency questions or incidents, please call (207) 454-7400.
We will be updating the website and Facebook page regularly to keep residents up to date.
Message from the Assessor’s Office;
I have had a few questions on whether the State of Maine will be extending the April 1st deadline due to COVID-19. It is unlikely that there will be an extension.
If you have not sent in your Homestead, Veteran, or Blind Exemption Applications OR for Current Land Use Programs- Farmland, Open Space or Tree Growth Applications, please make sure you do so , the State of Maine has extended the April 1st deadline, but please get them in as soon as possible. (You may fax, e-mail, mail or drop it in the drop box at the City Building).
More information about the exemptions can be found at; https://www.maine.gov/revenue/propertytax/sidebar/exemptions.htm
More information about the Current Land Use Programs can be found at; https://www.maine.gov/revenue/propertytax/propertytaxbenefits/current_use.htm
Inspections have also been postponed, but I will be taking photos for documentation of what was done as of April 1st, 2020.
If you need assistance with anything, please feel free to call or email me.
Tel: 207-454-2521 ext. 1006 Fax: 207-454-2757 email@example.com
Department Phone Numbers and Emails
- City Manager: 207-454-2521 ext. 1001
- City Clerk: 207-454-2521 ext. 1000
- Finance Director: 207-454-2521 ext. 1003
- Revenue Collector: 207-454-2521 ext. 1005
- Assessor/Code Enforcement: 207-454-2521 ext. 1006
- Recreation Department: Business Phone: 207-454-2761
Cell Phone: 207-214-8792
- Public Works: 207-454-2763
- Police Department: Non Emergency 207-454-2751
Voicemail Box: 207-454-2752
- Fire Department: 207-454-7400